Videos are the big thing that online users are consuming and sharing right now. THINK with Google notes that six out of 10 people would rather watch videos online rather than live TV. For video marketing trands, ther research has found that 83 percent of consumers enjoy YouTube videos and 54 percent would like to see more video marketing content.
Organizations have been incorporating videos into their marketing strategies in response to growing online audiences. This has been seen in a change in advertising budgets where companies are increasing their spending on digital and dropping their TV expenses.
As the digital video marketing industry has gained momentum there have been some clear successful strategies. These have become so common among marketing teams that they are now considered trends.
Video marketing trends of the past: A look at the last five years
Supporting great causes
One of the past trends for video marketing has been causes. In 2014, many large companies like Coca-Cola designed their video marketing strategies around causes they could support. One such trend was the Ice Bucket Challenge. It was created to raise money for ALS and became viral on social media.
Another major trend over the past five years has been female empowerment. Driven by the appearance of 13-year-old Mo’ne Davis on the cover of Sports Illustrated, the push to empower women gained momentum. For example, brands like Always produced video content that challenged the phrase “like a girl.”
Marketers know that most people are moved to share content that has an emotional element. On social media, videos that get a large number of shares often make us tear up. For example, supermarket chain Sainbury’s produced a stirring video of Christmas on the front lines in 1914.
Facebook vs YouTube
Facebook began challenging YouTube in 2015 after video ads on the social media platform became trendy. Many companies used Facebook to target niche audiences with its content. This was also the time that luxury fashion brands came into their own with video content. Influencer marketing also became a major marketing phenomenon. It is one that continues to be used with success by brands today.
360-degree video and interactive
In 2016, 360-degree video became popular. These interactive pieces of content were perfect for brands like National Geographic, which was named one of the top 10 performers on Facebook. Short video content also gained momentum this year with Instagram’s 15-second time limit on video. Companies like Ikea found ways to create successful micro-video content within Instagram’s constraints. Along with these other two formats, explainer videos also became popular. These video clips enabled users to better understand a company’s products and services. It also provided a platform for brands to demonstrate to consumers how these things make life easier.
The following year saw three major trends emerge: value-drive video content, storytelling and a mobile-first focus. Brands began to show they were being socially responsible and demonstrate the values behind what they do. They also began to focus more on telling their company’s story and doing so in a mobile-friendly fashion.
Square and short videos
Live video, square videos and short-lived videos were among last year’s trends for video marketing content. Social media sites were flooded with live videos from brands who used the opportunity to promote themselves in unique ways. For example, J. Crew would offer special deals in their live Instagram videos. Consumers continued to consume more video content on their mobile devices, which lead to companies developing square videos that fit better on mobile screens. Brands were also able to capitalize on short-lived videos, creating a sense of urgency and resulting in increased viewer rates.
Video trends in 2019: Current and future video marketing content trends
Here is a look at some of those trends.
- Accessibility. In an effort to accommodate those with hearing impairment, brands have been working to make their videos accessible. That means providing text versions to accompany the videos such as Closed Captioning.
- Q & A. Question and answer videos have become a big trend in the online video world. Part of this is because q & a encourage engagement with consumers. It also allows brands to show off part of their personality.
- Vertical. Instagram has been at the forefront of the vertical video trend. The social media platform has made vertical the dominant form in the mobile world. Marketers and content creators have also been adopting vertical videos for mobile marketing strategies.
- Video campaigns that incorporate strategies are increasing in popularity among audiences and brands. The main reason is that they can keep an audience engaged longer.
- Collaboration. Social media users have become more and more trusting of product recommendations of “everyday people” on the platforms. Research has demonstrated that influencer marketing is still an important trend for brands looking to build their customer base.
For organizations looking to create successful video marketing campaigns, there are several trends that have emerged. Their popularity is mainly because of the positive response from the audience. Creating videos that promote inclusivity through accessibility, question and answer clips, vertical videos, series campaigns and using influencers to promote products are the most common types of videos for marketing. These tried and true elements can help any brand connect and engage their audience and improve their customer relationships.
Want to know more? Get-in-touch with one of our creative digital consultants for a free consultation.
Tags: Video Marketing, video marketing trends
You might also like
- How to Distribute Marketing Videos Across Different Channels October 5, 2019
- How to Use Video Marketing to Boost Your Bottom Line September 11, 2019
- Introduction to Video Marketing August 24, 2019
- How to Use Video Marketing to Communicate Your Brand to Your Audience July 17, 2019
- What are the Benefits of Video Marketing you should know about? July 6, 2019
- 5 Ways To Use Storytelling In Video Marketing May 28, 2019
- ASMR: Globally Disrupting Video Marketing May 11, 2019
- How Videos Can Improve the Overall Customer Experience March 30, 2019
- 12 Video Marketing Tips to Help You to Make a Killer Live Video March 7, 2019